Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Postmaster Fence Posts



What is the general consenses on the Postmaster Fence Posts? The Master Halco Website is pretty convincing. However, they are about $45 a piece from my local supplier! Home Depot and Lowes both sell another Master Halco product of similar design with a similar name. they cost about $16 a piece. Are they equally as strong? Same quality steel, galvanizing thickness, etc? When I called Master Halco they acknowledge that Home Depot and Lowes carries the product, but could not provide me any technical information.

Where in the store did you find this other Master Halco product? We have both Lowes and HD here, but I have never seen them. I was planning on using 2 3/8 round pipe and simpson PGTs, but if these are better then maybe I'll use them.
$45 is a bit steep for bent metal. I guess you can charge what you want when you've got the patent.
-Marc

At HD they are upright in the racks along side the round galv. fence posts. At Lowes they were in the hidden in the back of the outdoor portion of the store near the prefab fence panels. along side pallets and bundles of additional fencing product inventory. I just happened to notice them piled there in a dark corner. if I wasn't already familiar with the product, I would not have even known what they were. And like everything else at Lowes they were a couple dollars more.
I actually used them with some prefab fence panels for a very short section, close off a section of side yard. They worked fairly well, although the whole fence flexes a little more than I would like. My next project is a bigger undertaking. It's a 6' high panel fence on top of a 24 CMU wall. I'd like the posts to be about 2 feet longer so that they reach down into the footing and I'd like them to be a bit more rigid.

Thanks, I'll try and see if I can find these at our local stores. If I remember correctly 8 foot 2 3/8 round galvanized poles were about $11. Can't remember how much Simpson PGT's are, but assuming they are at least a couple of bucks a piece, the Master Halco product may be slightly a better deal. But if they make the fence flex too much, I am not sure they are worth the cost savings. Has anyone here used the $45 posts?

Ahhh...That get back the gist of my original question!

I am installing a 100+ foot fence alongside my property using HD purchased privacy panels and 8' Postmaster Fence Posts purchased from the Fence Factory ($28 each) in Agoura Hills, CA. I am putting the posts 24 inches into the ground and so far things are going great (6 of 16 panels installed). Along with 150+ feet of chain link that I installed with the help of day labor, this is my first fence project.

I took the plunge and bought the postmaster posts for my fence. When I compared the price of round chainlink style posts and simpson PGTs the cost of the postmaster was not much of a jump. I found them online for $25 a piece. Not cheap, and I had to pick them up myself at a Master Halco distributor to avoid hefty shipping charges. It worked out okay though, and I almost have them all installed. The posts are very sturdy, I believe they spec out at .120 thick. Now I just hope they last forever.
-Marc

Marc,
Can you please tell me the specific website where you found the posts??? I am in Spokane, WA...cannot find anything here except at a contractor supplier ($45 each!!!)
Thanks,
Michael

Java
4 y/o post, I doubt you will get a reply...I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer and see who distributes them in your area.

Replying for any one researching these. I also found these posts hard to source but the local master halco distribution center sold them to me since there wasn't a local retailer. They are incredibly substantial. They use a special method for attaching wood to them and have to go in a certain way. For gate posts you double them for extra stability. Regular post is good -- the doubled version is very solid.
I really don't see this post ever wearing out like a normal wood post put in the ground. But it wasn't worth all my trouble to find and purchase them in hind sight -- unless I was planning on being the house for 15+ years.






Tags: postmaster, fence, posts, Fence Posts, Halco product, Master Halco, Master Halco, Master Halco product, Postmaster Fence, Postmaster Fence Posts, they were