Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Insert Vs Firebox Vs Fireplace Please Help!!!!!!!



I had the pleasure of having a chimney fire a month ago. Nothing major happened and insurance is covering everything which includes tearing down and replacing my chimney and fireplace.
Picasa Web Albums - Ahren - Nice House Pi... (-- as you can see the chimney is a major part of the curb appeal of the house so it will be rebuilt on the outside to match. However I'm free to do the inside however I like.
I've pretty much decided on wood but could be convinced to pellet. Gas is probably out as the house isn't plumbed for it.
here is a picture inside: Picasa Web Albums - Ahren - Nice House Pi...
I'd like to get something a little bit more efficient (A LOT more efficient actually). The fireplace is the main sorce of heat for the downstairs which is 900sq ft. I'll probably put some vents in so the heat can get upstairs as well.
I am debating getting the fireplace rebuilt with the intentions of putting in an insert OR putting in a wood fire box instead.
The benefit of the firebox is it's WAY cheaper since i dont need a full chimney... just the stove piping and then a brick face (to retain the original look). The firebox is a bit more efficient than the insert (73% compared to 65%) and comes with a blower.
What are some of your thoughts on this? Is there anything wrong with doing a fire box? anything i'd regret?
Thanks so much

Consider costs of fuel. I think there is a chimney/fireplace section of the forums, too. Its here:
Fireplaces, Heating Stoves, Flues and Chimneys
But i dont have the ability to move threads and its a pain to do anyhow...
Is wood cheaper (and cleaner) for you to run. If your chimney doesnt extend very high, you could get a lot of wood smell in your house, or neighbors houses with wood. Pellet stoves burn a lot cleaner if that is going to be a factor.
Compare the costs of wood purchased and delivered (or done by you) and maintaining a wood fireplace with that of say, a pellet stove.
I think pellet stove would be more efficient and everything overall, but you lose the nice aestethics of a wood-burning fire.
In that case, given the dimensions of your existing cavity for the fireplace would be enough for a few local places to give you bids on whether or not an insert or a re-do would be better for you.
I'd personally do some kind of insert because htey would most likely put a new exhaust liner inside your existing brick chimeny. That would make me feel a lot safer about having a fire in there again.

I am no expert in this area by any means, but given those gable vents, I would go for a clean burning fuel. I think the smoke would end up in the attic and get pulled in through the attic entrance.
I like a fire smell but I like it contained, but thats just me.

Thanks for the reply. I have to do a 100% complete rebuild. No question about it. They may even have to do a new foundation.
The chimney extends to a height of about 30 feet.
I don't really understand how smoke could get into the attic?
I agree that pellet does burn more efficiently but i really like the look of a wood burning fire.

Smoke wont enter the attic, but the smell might.

I'm still missing something... How would smell get into my attic if the chimney is outside and there is chimney pipe running 30' up?

Anyone have any other opinions?






Tags: insert, firebox, fireplace, more efficient, Ahren Nice, Ahren Nice House, Albums Ahren, Albums Ahren Nice, Albums Ahren Nice House, chimney fireplace, fuel think, into attic, Nice House, pellet stove