Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What are traditional irish wedding vows

What are traditional irish wedding vows?


It's interesting:
"I would like to say that I have a lot of admiration for Linda. She met Paul during his ‘colt’ years, and has dealt with most of his flaws. She’s a beautiful lady, and an even more gorgeous bride. I hope Paul realizes just how lucky he is. But I still don’t know how he got her to say yes because all she seems to say now is “No! Paul, no!”"

Preparing your wedding vows can be an emotional and important process. For some, traditional vows are the only option, while for others, something more contemporary may be in line. For many Irish brides, traditional Irish wedding vows are the way to go.

  1. Religion or Culture

    • Creating an expressly Irish wedding ceremony can be a heartfelt way of incorporating the traditions of your forefathers into the newest branch of your family history. Before embarking on this decision though, a couple must decide whether they want a culturally traditional vow or a religiously traditional one. Although wedding vows culled from either aspect of Irish tradition will accomplish the same thing, each is a distinctly different flavor. Religious wedding ceremonies focus on the traditional values of love, honor, cherishing and, sometimes, obedience. For some, these vows can be a bit chauvinistic. The Celtic cultural tradition views both sexes as equals, and their vows clearly reflect that.

    The Religious Route

    • The church guides the wedding vows for most Irish weddings.

      Religiously speaking, Ireland is a Christian country. Although split fairly dramatically between Catholic and Protestant, the vast majority of the inhabitants of the Emerald Isle attend church. In most Irish weddings therefore, it is fairly standard to the basic religious wedding vows spoken, and has been for centuries. Promises to love and honor one another in all times are made in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. These vows are not any different than what you might expect to hear in any other Catholic or Protestant marriage ceremony.

    The Happy Medium

    • Couples wishing to honor their Irish heritage through their vows, without veering too far from their religious comfort zone can do so through this following very Irish statement of their pledge:

      "By the power that Christ brought from heaven, mayst thou love me. As the sun follows its course, mayst thou follow me. As light to the eye, as bread to the hungry, as joy to the heart, may thy presence be with me, oh one that I love, 'til death comes to part us asunder."

    The Cultural Nod

    • Celtic vows are rooted in equality of partners.

      For couples who are less concerned with remaining strictly focused on the religious aspect of the Irish tradition, there are Celtic customs that can be honored in a wedding ceremony. Although Celtic culture extends beyond just Ireland, it also permeates it. Scottish, Welsh and Cornish folk also share in the Celtic traditions. For an Irish bride however, there can be comfort and connection in the use of a Celtic wedding vow. One good example of this is:

      "You cannot possess me for I belong to myself.

      But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give.

      You cannot command me, for I am a free person.

      But I shall serve you in those ways you require,

      And the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand.

      I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night,

      And the eyes into which I smile in the morning.

      I pledge to you the first bite of my meat and the first drink from my cup.

      I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care.

      I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine.

      I shall not slander you, nor you me.

      I shall honor you above all others, and when we quarrel we shall do so in

      Private and tell no strangers our grievances.

      This is my wedding vow to you

      This is the marriage of equals. "

      This is truly a sharp departure from the vows of the church, but this traditional Celtic wedding vow can be heard at the weddings of any Celtic region.

    Other Irish Touches

    • No matter what vows you take to get there, you are married.

      If going full blown Celtic is more than you or your religious officiant are comfortable with, you may want to consider embellishing your traditional religious ceremony with some readings and verses to provide a nod to your Irish heritage. There are a multitude of Irish proverbs to chose from, such as "Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend" or "We swear by peace and love to stand, Heart to heart and hand in hand. Mark, O Spirit, and hear us now, Confirming this, our Sacred Vow" which will effectively bring an Irish flavor to your big day.


Source: www.ehow.com

Tags: wedding vows, aspect Irish, aspect Irish tradition, Catholic Protestant, Celtic wedding, Irish heritage