Monday, May 11, 2009

A typical marriage vow

A typical marriage vow


It's interesting:
"Linda is beautiful. She’s intelligent. She’s funny. She can cook like Nigella Lawson and she’s got the patience of a saint. Paul, I can say with my hand on my heart that you’re one of the luckiest men alive. And she writes a cracking Best Man speech as well."

Marriage vows vary among religions and denominations. Orthodox and conservative churches may insist that the bride and groom use traditional vows, but other clergy may allow for modification of the vows or a complete overhaul in favor of custom vows. If you choose to use traditional vows, religious or secular, there are several variations.

  1. Catholic Vows

    • The Roman Catholic Church uses the missal for the celebration of Mass, a book containing the prayers for liturgy or worship, including marriage rites. Roman Catholic marriage vows are recited by the bride and groom: "I, 'name,' take you, 'name,' for my lawful husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."

    Episcopal Vows

    • The Episcopal marriage ceremony comes from the "Book of Common Prayer," which contains the rites and prayers for liturgy. The Episcopal vows are recited by the bride and groom: "In the name of God, I, 'name,' take you, 'name,' to be my husband/wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow."

    Protestant Vows

    • Protestant denominations all use a similar form of wedding vows. Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, and Presbyterian clergy use this form, recited by the bride and groom: "I, 'name,' take thee, 'name,' to be my wedded husband/wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance- and hereto, I pledge myself to you."

    Jewish Vows

    • In Orthodox and Conservative Jewish weddings, only the groom recites his vows, often in Hebrew. The English translation of the vows is, "Behold, you are consecrated to me with this ring according to the laws on Moses and Israel." In Reform, some Conservative and contemporary Jewish ceremonies, the bride and groom both recite the Orthodox vows. The rabbi may elect to use a phrase from Song of Solomon in place of the Orthodox vows, translated from Hebrew to "I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine."

    Muslim Vows

    • The traditional Muslim marriage ceremony doesn't include a recitation of vows. The imam speaks of the bride and groom's responsibilities to one another and the two consent to be wed. Modern couples in less orthodox traditions may recite a version of these vows. The bride begins: "I, 'name,' offer you myself in marriage in accordance with the instructions of the Holy Quran and the Holy Prophet, peace and blessing be upon him. I pledge, in honesty and with sincerity, to be for you an obedient and faithful wife." The groom responds: "I pledge, in honesty and sincerity, to be for you a faithful and helpful husband."

    Secular Vows

    • Nonreligious couples may want to include the tradition of vows in their ceremony without the religious language. Couples can customize their vows, recite passages from a poem or use one of the many forms on the Internet. One beautiful recitation is, "I, 'name,' take you, 'name,' to be no other than yourself, in all the ways life may find us, tending you in sickness and rejoicing with you in health, as long as we both shall live to love."


Source: www.ehow.com


Tags: bride groom, name take, better worse, better worse richer, bride groom name